Sunday, June 19, 2005

Kayaking

I went Kayaking this weekend at the Tickfaw State Park. At first it was kind of boring. I paddled up the Tickfaw River for a about 3 miles and only saw a few birds. Mostly herons and egrets. I did see one rather smelly dead alligator. At least I think he was dead because I don't think they know how to backstroke. I've been trying to find one in the wild since I came to Louisiana.

On may way back downriver I finally saw a live one. It was pretty small; About three feet long. It was an alligator though.


I caught site of a small water snake also; nothing poisonous. All day long I kept hearing splashes along the rivers edge. I wasn't sure if fish were jumping or what. I thought it might be more snakes. I've heard horror stories of them falling out of trees into passing boats. On the return trip I finally figured out what it was. I saw what looked like an army helmet on a tree branch about three feet above the water. As I got closer I realized it was a baby snapping turtle. I have no idea how it got up there but when it caught sight of me it casually slipped into the water making a loud splash.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home