Monday, June 12, 2006

Too Fat and Too Stressed

I had to complete a health survey this weekend. The conclusion from this survey was that I am too fat and too stressed out. I guess I am like many Americans in that respect. They say I am too stressed because I do not have someone that I talk to regularly to get things off of my chest. I disagree with that. I get most of my issues off of my chest right here. That's part of why I started this. I do need to lose some weight though.

There are many groups out there who think taxing soft drinks will help with the obesity problem. Some areas of the country already do this. I don't think this'll help me loose weight because I do not drink sugary soft drinks. The tax will affect me though because I do drink a lot of Diet DR Pepper.

I personally do not think it will help many people at all. People get addicted to things. Taxing cigarettes hasn't really stopped smoking in this country. I don't think taxing softdrinks will help either because of the addictive properties.

Soft drinks are addictive for many reasons, 1st, people crave sugar. There is so much sugar in the American diet that many have started to become insulin resistant and therefore need more sugar in their diet to feel good. The worst thing about soda is the caffeine in many of them. You can become very addicted to this substance. People who are addicted to it can get severe headaches, fatigue and depression from withdrawal. I've had caffeine headaches, trust me, you do not want one.

Maybe they could even cut down of sugar consumption by limiting or eliminating caffeine from softdrinks. Of course, decaffeinated drinks do not have the same selling power as those that have it so soda companies would probably resist much the way tobacco companies have at efforts to curb smoking...

One way or another, I do believe that obesity is a major problem. My sister-in-law basically died from the complications that it can cause. She was very overweight. I think that sugary drinks probably contributed to her condition but I don't think that taxing them would have helped for the reasons already stated.

I think that they need to tax the sugar industry itself. That way food producers will use less of it or have to charge more for their products. They put sugar in everything. Its even on the french fries that many of us enjoy from our fast food restaurants. Just a thought...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am not too sure what the solution is. I grew up with almost no sugar, for which I am very thankful.

It is not just the sugar though. Diet pop is not exactly very good for you either. In some studies it has come out worse (not because of obesity, but other heath problems).

A huge problem is prepackaged food, which are loading with chemicals that does who knows what to you body long term. I recently say on the news that oil resistant coatings (like Teflon) are extremely bad for a person's body. Also milk and meat that you buy contain hormones and steroids because they are given to the animal to make them produce more milk and meat. Then there are trans-fats that cause a lot a problems. Companies like New York fries have taken them out of their fries.

10:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home