Sunday, September 03, 2006

Second Life


Well, I took the plunge and opened an account for the virtual world, Second Life. The picture to the left is my character, RabidRabit Helios. RabidRabit is the name I use on UT2004 and I had to pick a last name from a list so Helios was it.

As you can see from my character, I had some trouble editing my appearance. I'm not sure where the hair went and what is left is a lovely shade of green. I'm still not sure how I got strips across my bare chest. The shirt I was provided with disappeared sometime during my travels. Then there is the milky white skin. I resemble a punk rock version of Powder.

Other than the minor technical difficulties that I had with my avatar it was a pretty pleasant experience. The idea of a 3-d virtual world is fascinating. I created a lot of primitive objects, leaving many of them scattered where the land owners would allow. One of them was a US flag beach ball that was almost as tall as my avatar.

I enjoyed playing around. I socialized minimally but where I did, I found the controls pretty easy to use. If you've got a few hours I recommend trying it out. Be sure to take your time at the beginning to learn how the world works. It'll make things so much more pleasant.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home