Sunday, August 28, 2005

Katrina

Here's the scenario: There is a category 3 hurricane in the Gulf of Mexico. It appears to be heading directly for your city, New Orleans. The storm is predicted to increase in strength at least to a CAT 4 and your city is an average of 9ft below sea level. What would you do?

To me a mandatory evacuation would seem prudent. This didn't happen until this morning, roughly 24 hours before the storms eye is predicted to make landfall. The storm is now a very powerful CAT 5 storm with sustained winds over 170 MPH. Not smart. The highways are starting to clog up fast. Hotels cannot be found for hundreds of miles from New Orleans. People are going to have to go well into Texas to find a place to rest.

I'm in Baton Rouge. We are on the good side of the storm so I am not evacuating. Hopefully I will not regret this decision but for now the winds are supposed to be about 50 MPH with gusts of 80. I just need to find a place away from the trees to park my car and I should be good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home