Sunday, August 21, 2005

Changes

I hate them and love them. What do I mean by that? Well, I really want to retire. I'll have enough time as of next month. At the same time I'm nervous about it. What will I do when I get out? Where will I live? These are fears everyone faces.

I tried to hedge my bet some. I had a plan. Now I'm not sure if its the best plan. I had the plan to buy a small house in the Tampa area. I was going to start paying on it now and continue over the next year. When I retired I was going to go to school and maybe get a degree in teaching. After I went through all the hassles of looking for a house and ran into some walls as far as financing goes I am unsure about this plan now.

My bank doesn't want to finance me for the loan because I don't live in the area yet. Other banks will finance the loan as a second house but that requires money down, PMI, higher fees and higher interest rates. (Second home? I don't have a first one yet. )

Then there comes the teaching thing. I'm one class away from my associates degree in Business Administration. If I do want to be a teacher I will need to find someone who is willing to accept the maximum number of credits possible and then I will have to start filling in the missing courses.

I'm really not even sure if I'll like teaching. I volunteered for the Junior Achievement program this fall. I guess that'll give me a better idea if that is what I want to do.

I don't want to wait and see but I also don't want to act too early. I'm not sure if I can find a job in the Tampa area. I'm not even sure I'll like the area. My brother's family lives there and my Mom may someyear move there. That's the biggest reason I want to go there. I'm writing it out like this because I think that will help me to see the problem more clearly. I'm not exactly sure why I am posting it online. Just because I guess.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greg, Hillsborough County Schools would have you working with an associates degree under the agreement that you get your bachelors in teaching over the next couple of years...

You'll probably make between 30 and 35k teaching and it isn't always rewarding!

7:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home