Sunday, December 18, 2005

Internal Spies

I'm not sure what I think of this wiretapping issue. Can the President order wiretaps without a court order? I am very unsure if this is legal, even under the Patriot Act. If you had asked me a few years back I would have said that this was not right. Now, after 9-11, I can't feel so secure in this conviction.

The taps have already been used to capture at least one person connected with a terrorist organization. How many others are under surveillance due to it? I guess the scary thing for me is that I might be willing to give up some of my rights to feel safer. I think that is what is scary to many Americans. We have all given up certain liberties post 9-11. Now that the threat seems farther away we wonder if we should ask for them back.

I had a teacher in my Business Law class explain our constitutional rights as if it were a cup of water. He said that sometimes it is more full than others and sometimes you have to empty some of it out. I don't mind emptying it out for the short term but I want to be able to refill it. I guess they call that wanting you cake and wanting to eat it too. Of course, that doesn't sound unreasonable to me. After all, why buy cake if you can't eat it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home