Saturday, April 29, 2006

Illegal Immigration

OK, I've been listening to people go back and forth for several months about this issue, I'm putting my two cents forth now. Many people are trying to make the issue a racial one. To some I'm sure it is. To most, however I do not think that is the case. It seems to me to be an issue of legality. We have laws. If these illegals want to embrace the country like they say they do, then they need to embrace the laws also.

I think we need some reforms to our immigration laws. I think the idea of a temporary work visa is good. That doesn't change my views on the issue of people who come into this country illegally. Border control is not a racial issue, its a security issue. Knowing who is coming into our country is important. Knowing why they are here is also very important. 9-11 proved the need for that.

The positive side of people being here legally is that people will have the rights that these demonstrators say that they want. It would mean higher wages, access to health care and the ability to get a legal US driver's license. So what is the downside? They have to register, they might have to go back to the border?

One of the downsides to that is that these immigrants might have to do what millions of others in the past had to do, learn English, integrate into the American culture, become Americans. That doesn't mean losing your culture or history. It means learning ours. Many do, many more do not.

I have many family members that immigrated to this country legally so I am not removed from the issue. My uncle came from Portugal when he was a teenager. He embraced the nation and became a citizen. My sister in law is from Canada. She hasn't become a citizen but she has embraced this nation. My great grandmother came from Ireland. I didn't know her but that's not the issue. I embrace my Irish heritage and like the Irish culture but I am not Irish. I am an American! I am a citizen of the United States of America! That's what is missing from this current movement. These people aren't here because they want to be Americans. They want our jobs and money but not our culture. People coming here waving a foreign flag and demanding rights from our government is insulting and infuriating. The public relations types have tried to change their image by getting to wave US flags but that doesn't change the underlying motives.

I'm not sure if I have adequately expressed my opinion on this or not. I've tried, you can agree or not.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home